http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1738290019

My Facebook profile

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

Here you'll find some info on Ducati repair and modifications along with photos. I've got stuff for sale too, so check out the older posts. Please leave comments about anything you see, good or bad. Thanks for looking, Steve

Search This Blog

Friday, December 16, 2011

Homemade parts washer

I must admit that I'm a bit of a "dumpster diver"- have been from way-back, runs in the family! Plus, I'm cheap (to a degree).....so having no shame about routing around through the thrash helps. I must also say that I tend to use everything I bring home, it may be years before I need it but I always seem to make use of the item or piece of "scrap".
Take the nice piece of perforated stainless steel sheets that were used in my "free" parts washer. After a couple of cuts, folds, and rivets attaching it to a discarded bin zip-tied to procured milk crates (yeah, I know about the legal warnings on the things....but what can I say, I guess I live dangerously!) I had a nice unit.

Using a combination of parts washing fluid (pressurized bottle), and spray cans of Brakleen (high solvent and low solvent) I can clean my parts and the excess fluid drains into the bin where most of it evaporates. I've got a brush and blow gun there also.
I designed it to be at working level right outside the workspace, behind the doors separating the heated shop from the stairs and bulkhead. Notice the white box to the lower right- this is the fan setup that I use when I paint in the room, I've just turned the opening 90 degrees (from the covered opening to the shop-red door) to suck out the fumes when I turn on the fan--it works great--no more filling the house with strong brake cleaner fumes. When I'm done washing parts I just shut the door, let the fan run for awhile to evacuate the remaining nastiness and that's it.
It's out of the way, accessible, easy to use.......and, best of all FREE!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

simply stopping by to say hey

Anonymous said...

Hi. I wanted to drop you a quick be aware to precise my thanks.
Ive been following your blog for a month or so and have
picked up a ton of fine info and enjoyed the
method youve structured your site. I am
attempting to run my very personal blog however I feel its too common and I have to deal with loads of smaller topics.
Being all issues to all folks is not all that its cracked
as much as be

Here is my web-site having trouble getting pregnant the third time