http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1738290019

My Facebook profile

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

Here you'll find some info on Ducati repair and modifications along with photos. I've got stuff for sale too, so check out the older posts. Please leave comments about anything you see, good or bad. Thanks for looking, Steve

Search This Blog

Sunday, February 24, 2013

REAR ROTOR WEIGHT REDUCTION

In an effort to reduce some weight from the rear brake I sent the rotor out to Quality Machine Co and had it drilled out. I opted for the AMA style which keeps the outer diameter intact.

Stock rotor on right.

Drilled rotor right.


Weight reduction was 30%

Then I replaced the stock steel bolts which weighed 60 grams.


with Titanium bolts which weigh 30 grams, the magnetics are 3 grams.

But then I realized that the speedo pickup works off of the rear rotor bolts which have to be steel or magnetic. So I searched around for magnets that I could epoxy in to the recessed center of the bolt heads. And I found some small magnets that worked.
 Here they are above, the black ones on the left are epoxy coated that I had hoped to use but they were a little too thick so I ended up using the uncoated ones on the right.

Ti bolts stuck to the fridge- below.





 They fit perfectly in the center of the bolt heads. I tested them first to make sure the magnetic "draw" side was out facing the pickup.

I decided to sent some parts to a coworker to have them powder coated gloss black.
I did the rear axle head and nut along with the adjuster plates, rear caliper carrier, rear brake master cylinder carrier and two front brake reservoir brackets.







The finished rear brake setup. The black carrier helps to make it disappear as it now blends in with the swing arm. I'm not completely happy with the black on the axle adjusters, but that's because I didn't make it clear what had to be powder coated on them, so I'll fix it with paint. The magnetics in the Ti rotor bolts work fine (I can spin the wheel and see the speedo work), but I had to shim the pickup with a washer.

While on the subject of weight reduction: Here's the stats for the conversion to CF air runners.

PART                              OEM WEIGHT                          CF WEIGHT

BREATHER TANK           13.8 OZ                                    REMOVED=0 OZ
RIGHT RUNNER              1LB 13.5 OZ                             5.9 OZ  
LEFT RUNNER                1 LB 5.1 OZ                               5.4 OZ
COOLANT BOTTLE         INCLUDED IN R RUNNER  
CF BRACKET                                                                        1.7 OZ

TOTAL                                4 LBS                                       13 OZ
 WEIGHT SAVED= 3 LBS 3 OZ.    OR ABOUT 75 % SAVINGS.





No comments: