http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1738290019

My Facebook profile

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

Here you'll find some info on Ducati repair and modifications along with photos. I've got stuff for sale too, so check out the older posts. Please leave comments about anything you see, good or bad. Thanks for looking, Steve

Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

GEOMETRY.....

Now that I'm finished with the engine work, it's time to work on getting the "R" to handle like my sweet flicking 748! Since the cast swingarm of the 03 model is scratched (other side in this pic) from a previous get off, and I'll be looking to increase the wheelbase (more on that later, or see my older 27mm triple clamp post), I decided to find a nice 05 "boxed" swingarm to replace it.
While I had it off the bike, I took an accurate center to center reading to determine it's length. It's 483mm to the point where I had my chain adjusted (about the middle of the adjustment point) and 489mm all the way to the back of the adjustment range. I've been told that the 05 arm is about 513mm to the back, so I'll be able to get in the 500mm range with that arm, which is what I need. Stay tuned.
Above is an example of shoddy craftsmanship on a $30K (originally) motorcycle. All the tape on the wiring is cheap friction type that comes apart much too easily when trying to clean the harnesses. Plus, the wires are not completely taped, just wrapped with gaps!!! My other Ducatis were much better in this regard. I'll be fixing this problem with proper tape and technique, for sure!

No comments: