http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1738290019

My Facebook profile

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

Here you'll find some info on Ducati repair and modifications along with photos. I've got stuff for sale too, so check out the older posts. Please leave comments about anything you see, good or bad. Thanks for looking, Steve

Search This Blog

Monday, January 25, 2010

The laser worked well on the rear...

I decided to set it up to see if I could actually check the rake and trail numbers. Above you can see the laser set up to check the vertical line through the center of the axle to the ground. You can barely see the red line in the picture. I've got a T square set up to check the "plumb" of the line.
Close up of the vertical line.
I previously set the laser to follow along the centerline of the forks then moved it back to the centerline of the steering head, I confirmed the position by measuring back 27mm (the offset of the clamps) at the axle point. Then I marked the point where it hit the ground (actually a board under the tire to make up for the height of the stand) this is where the rake angle is.
To get the trail number I measured the distance between the two points marked on the board. And to my surprise I got 99mm, which is exactly what was quoted in the geometry figures I have, and what I calculated it would be working with the 27mm clamps.
So, overall, I'm happy I took the time to play around with the laser...Hey, it's no Computrack system, but it was nice to see how the geometry works when making changes. AND I like playing around with this stuff....Yeah, I know, I got way too much time on my hands!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Steve, when you measured your rake and swingarm angle was the suspension fully extended, or was the bike under its own weight?