http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1738290019

My Facebook profile

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

Here you'll find some info on Ducati repair and modifications along with photos. I've got stuff for sale too, so check out the older posts. Please leave comments about anything you see, good or bad. Thanks for looking, Steve

Search This Blog

Friday, January 15, 2010

VERTICAL CYLINDER CAM TIMING

I've made other marks (white) on the V cam wheels to show where they are in relationship to the top of the cylinder when the piston is at TDC on the compression stroke.
BTW- this position is about 270 degrees of crankshaft rotation from the point where the H cyl. was at TDC. Also take note of the "T" slots in the end of the camshafts, this is also a good refernce for cam position (about 12 o'clock)
Here's the layshaft position, note the yellow mark (TDC on H cyl). I later made a white dot on the wheel at the crankcase reference line, so WHITE for "V" cyl, YELLOW for "H" cyl. (paint sticks are nice for this)






Remember that the belts have to be really tight with almost no tension in them to check the cam timing as the slack will throw the readings off. If you're using the Harmonic Tensioning technique I was told they should be tightened to about 140 Hz. I've played around with this technique and will post more info here later, but for now, I just put them really tight.

This picture shows the homemade tool I use the find piston TDC. I've used it for years with all my Ducatis and it works well. The dial gauge sits on the top.








No comments: